Thursday 24 November 2011

5 Things I would really love to do in London

So I recently bought a book by Time Out called ‘1000 things to do in London’, for no reason really, just needed some inspiration. Well this book is full of great ideas! I will share the 5 top things that caught my attention, and that I will hopefully end up doing in my remaining year and a half in LondonTown

             1. Visit the Crystal Palace dinosaurs 
Opened in 1854, the Crystal Palace dinosaur Court, is a series of life-sized dinosaurs and extinct mammals within Crystal Palace park, and is also a  great example of science failure. At the time, dinosaur anatomy wasn’t that well known, so the statues look like huge deformed lizards. Still, I think it would be pretty cool to walk through a beautiful park and run into these gigantic beasts, definitely a must!
Thicket Road SE20 



2.     Have vodka in a Polish Bar
The thing I love most about London is of course its diversity of cultures. My neighbourhood is mostly Turkish, but I have seen some Polish restaurants and supermarkets around town. I’ve never actually had anything Polish, so I am quite curious to try, as I’ve only heard good things. Bar Polski is described as the ‘real deal’. With original home-cooked food and fridges full of vodkas divided in categories, why not make my way over there for a shot?
11 Little Turnstile, WC1V 7DX

3.     Visit the Horniman Museum
I always love going to a good museum, and usually the weirder the better. The Horniman specializes in anthropology, natural history and musical instruments, with a collection of over 350,000 objects on display. Divided into sections, its most famous is the stuffed animal part, or natural history. The first thing that catches your attention is supposed to be a 12 ft tall stuffed walrus. When reading about the museum I was attracted by the Apostle clock on the gallery above the Natural History collection; when it strikes four o’clock, 11 apostles come out and bow to the central Jesus, while the 12th, Judas, turns away. Stuffed with weird things, an aquarium, concerts, workshops and gardens, the Horniman museum sounds like a fun place to spend an afternoon.
100 London Road, SE23 3PQ




4.     Visit the London Coronet in Notting Hill on a Tuesday
Supposedly one of London’s finest cinemas, was originally built as a theatre, it was also the last cinema in London to allow smoking inside. On Tuesdays, movies are half the price, costing only 3.50 pounds. Being a student, this sounds like a good bargain, also, it’s in the beautiful Notting Hill.
103 Notting Hill Gate, W11 3LB

5.     Have a cup of coffee with a cabbie
Apparently, there are  bunch of green ‘garden sheds’ all around London, which are not actually garden sheds but Cabman’s Shelters. It’s a place for taxi drivers to have a cup of tea without disappearing in the nearest pub. There are about a dozen left in total, and they say that if you ask nicely, they might let you in for a cup of tea and a friendly chat. Maybe a big Italian smile will do it.



3 comments:

  1. Let me know when you decide to visit Bar Polski. I'll fly over and join you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never done any of these things. I've never even heard of them! I can't wait to hear your reports.

    ReplyDelete
  3. According to legend... when those dinosaurs were first built the funders (portly Victorian gents) used the inside of the biggest to host a posh dinner party. Now that would be a fun invitation!
    nicola
    http://homemadekids.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete